Sunday, November 21, 2010

What do I want to be when I grow up?

Thursday, I had the chance to speak in front of my niece's careers class about my "career".  What an adult word...."career".  I kind of thought I still just had a job :).  I guess that whole going to college thing and picking a major would eventually lead to a career.  I'm not going to lie, it was a bit intimidating standing in front of a group of 13 year olds explaining why I liked accounting.  Even more difficult was trying to explain what accounting is and what an accountant does to teenagers who are just learning what a checking account is and how to work one. I would like to say that I left them on the edge of their seats, excited about becoming an accountant :).  In reality, I think I was lucky they were all still awake by the time I was done!  I forget how un-interested we are at that age.  Having to think about what you want to be when you grown seems like such a far away concept at 13.  Of course, at 26 I still don't think I know what I want to be when I "grow up".  I know that I like what I am doing in my current job, I love the people that I work with, but this is definitely not what I want to do long-term.  Of course, I have no idea what I DO want to do.  I keep hoping that it will just fall into my lap :).

In other news, I can't believe that Thanksgiving is already this coming week!  Kyle and I are planning to make the trek to western Kansas to get together with his dad's side of the family.  I made a deal with him to not drag him to 15 family functions over the holidays, so we are just going to be doing one family get together for turkey day.  I will be a little sad not to see as much family over the holidays, but I am looking forward not having to spend so much time on the road traveling.  We will have the opportunity to relax and spend more quality time with family, which really is what the holidays are all about.

Last night a couple of my favorite ladies came over to our house for a cooking extravaganza!  Rachelle found this fabulous butternut squash lasagna recipe in the KC Star that she had been dying to try, so we decided to take on the task.  Boy was the recipe involved!  It ended up taking us almost 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to get the lasagna completed.  I couldn't imagine trying to make this by myself, but it was a recipe that was completely worth it!  And to top it off it was so much fun to be able to make a big production from start to finish with some wonderful ladies.  My soul felt "full" after last night, sometimes you just need those nights in with friends full of laughter, fun and good food.  We also made some pumpkin bread pudding that was pretty good (it would have been fabulous had I remembered to add the brown sugar....whoops!!). 

I'm looking forward to a short 2 day week! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend! We'll have to get together the next time the boys are gone! Happy Thanksgiving to you guys!

    ReplyDelete