Thursday, December 23, 2010

Something a little special...(& Merry Christmas!)

This last Sunday Kyle and I made the trek to the thriving metropolis of Republic, Kansas to celebrate Christmas with the Hurley side of my family.  I feel like we have fewer and fewer chances anymore now that we are older to get together and see everyone, so it was a special treat that all of my cousins were there except for two (we definitely missed having Amanda and Brandon there, but a day trip from Salt Lake City might be a bit out of the question!).  It was really nice to be able to catch up with everyone on their lives and get to spend some quality time with my grandparents.  I am starting to realize that the older they get, the more special the time is I get to spend with them.  It's hard to see them get older, especially when I think back on all of the memories of them when I was younger.

My grandparents had a special Christmas present for Kyle's and I's first Christmas.  When Grandma told me it was something "breakable" so she did not want to send it in the mail, I don't think I have been so excited for a Christmas present in a really long time!  See, growing up, my mom had this stained glass nativity set she put out every year that my grandma herself made.  I LOVE my mom's nativity set; it is so pretty and so special knowing that my grandma made it.  My grandma became severely ill a couple of years ago and even though she has since recovered, she never has been able to take back up her stained glass making.  I kind of just assumed that I would have to inherit my mom's set if I ever wanted one of my grandmother's stained glass nativity scenes.  Well, to my surprise I found out that grandma has a nativity set stashed away for each of the grandkids (to give out after we each get married) and that was our special Christmas gift this year from my grandparents!  This is probably one of my favorite Christmas presents ever!  I already have it set-up in the kitchen in a safe place so the dogs can't break anything.  Here's a picture:


Tomorrow is my last day of work for the week before the holiday.  I did finally get my Christmas shopping done on Monday.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute!  I've decided this year that Christmas is just one day that is more about the time we spend with the special people in our lives and less about the things that we give and get.  I get everything wrapped tonight before we hit the road tomorrow, but at least it got done! 

Let's hope the weather cooperates for our travels to Wichita tomorrow.  I can't wait to see more friends and family over the holiday weekend.  In the mean time, Merry Christmas to everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment