Sunday, August 22, 2010

Computer Down!

About two weeks ago my laptop at home decided to crash on me.  This is the second time since May it has done this.  The first time it crashed, I was able to revive my laptop by taking the CD that came with my computer when I bought and re-install the operating system.  Unfortunately, I lost all my pictures (including my Europe pictures, which were by far the most heartbreaking), but at least my computer was still working.  This second time, I can't get my computer to start up enough to even use the disc to reset my computer again.  Sad.  RIP computer.  I would love to go out and get a new computer (I have my eyes on getting an Apple desktop computer), but for now I'll just have to save up our money and wait. 

I finally stopped procrastinating and went to the social security office to get my name changed.  That part was a lot easier than I thought, and the wait was relatively minimal compared to what I expected it to be.  The hard part is going to be getting my name changed on all the little things:  credit cards, insurance cards, doctor's records, work email, driver's license (I loathe going to the DMV), etc.  Guys don't realize how easy they have it on this end! 

I went last week for training in Dallas for my job.  Usually I find training to be pretty boring, the instructors to be uninteresting (and honestly not that excited to be there) and I tend to catch myself doing the head bob during the middle of the day.  I was pleasantly surprised by this training. I was engaged pretty much the entire time, I felt like the training material was relevant and informative, and the instructor was amazing!!  She's an accounting professor for the University of Texas -San Antonio.  She knew her stuff! (and she did such an awesome job of presenting the information, giving lots of relevant examples)  She has renewed my interest in one day possible becoming a college professor.  Let's just say there's more time than not that I wonder if I'm doing something that really captures my interest, if I'm doing something that I really want to be doing for the rest of my life.  I know that most of the time I find the concepts of accounting interesting, but to be in the practice of it is so much different.  I enjoy people interaction so much, which is why I sometimes feel the pull towards becoming a professor and teaching.  This isn't something I would do right now, but definitely something I plan to keep on my radar for the next few years.

I've also lately been spending a lot of time thinking about finding something (a hobby) that I find fun and am passionate about.  Anyone who knows my husband or has met him can easily tell you his passions.  These are things I knew about him within a week.  Let's just say that I have always been envious of the fact (and admire) that he knows exactly what he's passionate about and doesn't care what everyone else thinks.  On top of this, I stumbled on a friend of a friends' blog post regarding people's passions.  In her post she described that during an interview, she was asked what it was that she was passionate about.  She went on to describe that everyone should be passionate about something and should be self aware enough to know what that is.  I kind of sat and thought for a minute, I have no idea what I'm passionate about!  I enjoy a lot of things:  cooking, spending time with friends and family, playing softball; but I don't know if I would say I was passionate about any of these things.  So I had a good talk with my closest friend to get some guidance on the topic of passions.  If anyone knows about having a passion, it's her.  She's known since college, high school, as long as I've known her what she's passionate about.  She's even currently turning her life upside down right now to chase her passion.  It makes me so proud of her that she's taking those courageous steps.  She's been a good sounding board on this topic.  I don't know if I'm that much closer to an answer of what I could be passionate about, but I have been able to find a direction I feel like in getting closer to an idea.

Whoo.  Long post!  I finally got our wedding pics back from our photographer so I will post some next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment